« Back to The Ecommerce Authority

6 Free Holiday Countdown Tools for Your Online Store

The holiday selling season is here! We’ve searched high and low for the best free holiday countdown clocks you can easily add to your online store. Remind your shoppers that time is of the essence and they’ll be more likely to make a purchase.

xmas countdown 6 Free Holiday Countdown Tools for Your Online Store

Nothing inspires shoppers like a reminder that time is running out. The holidays may feel far away, but in reality there’s less than 50 days left until it’s time to unwrap all the treats under the tree. Prospects look merry and bright this year. In fact, we’re projecting a 20% increase in online holiday sales for small to medium-sized online businesses.

So make the most of this season and reiterate the fact that the spending clock is ticking with a holiday countdown on your own site. Pick the design you like the best and copy the embed code. Tick tock!

1. WiddlyTinks Christmas Countdowns

WiddlyTinks specializes in offering customizable widgets for websites. Check out their Christmas Countdown section to get nine countdown options in their signature bright and colorful style.

widdlytinks 6 Free Holiday Countdown Tools for Your Online Store

2. Days Until Christmas Countdown

Days Until Christmas offers three countdown options that show you exactly that. Their Christmas Day Countdown Clock 2 is particularly helpful for online stores that want a smaller countdown.

daysuntilchristmas 6 Free Holiday Countdown Tools for Your Online Store

3. Your Christmas Countdown

With Your Christmas Countdown, you can customize and copy a code for your site by clicking “view options” at the top of the screen.

yourchristmascountdown 6 Free Holiday Countdown Tools for Your Online Store

4. MyCountdown.org

MyCountdown.org has a host of basic counters that you can customize to any dates and holiday colors you choose, complete with custom code to embed into your store.

mycountdownorg 6 Free Holiday Countdown Tools for Your Online Store

5. CountingDownTo.com

Similarly, CountingDownTo.com has a basic, yet clean and highly customizable counter building tool. Choose your date, event title, colors and size, and get to counting.

countingdowntocom 6 Free Holiday Countdown Tools for Your Online Store

6. Satisfaction.com Christmas Countdown

Satisfaction.com offers five different countdown designs, many of which featuring lots of the color blue. So if your template design is blue-heavy or looks good with navy accents, these countdowns may be for you.

satisfactioncomchristmascount 6 Free Holiday Countdown Tools for Your Online Store

6 Free Holiday Countdown Tools for Your Online Store

About

Emily Teachout is a Social Media writer and professional. She graduated from the University of Washington with a degree in Communications and a specialization in Technology & Society, and has managed social media campaigns for brands across multiple industries. In her spare time, Emily blogs about Austin’s culinary and entertainment scenes – in fact, she attends over 100 concerts per year.

18 Responses to “6 Free Holiday Countdown Tools for Your Online Store”

1. Margaret

I missed this for 2012, but will use a countdown gadget for 2013. Thanks for making the info available. For your info, I always look for this kind of info from a blog, as it is invariably straightforward and to the point and I found you using the search term christmas countdown clock blog, which you are number one on google for.

2. Ina

I’m new to this and wondering how I would be able to get them onto my front page?

Thank you.
    Ina

• Gracelyn Tan

Hi, Ina. To add one of these counters to your home, head to your store admin and go to Design > Site Content. Then, depending on where you’d like it to display on your homepage, you can add the code to any of the following category IDs: 2, 71, 72, 73, 74 or 75. (My recommendation is that you try Article ID 2 first, since it’s the area located above featured products).

To more easily find Article ID 2, click on the View List button on the main Site Content page, and then do a search for ID 2. Once there, paste the code into the body of the article, hit save and your countdown clock should be ready to go.

Let me know how it goes! :D

3. Brian

I’ve had mixed results with countdowns, but I agree that the concept is good – make people aware that time is running out!

4. Tamara

Didn’t find the Tiddlywinks or whatever one to work at all, didn’t load the images

• Emily Teachout

Sorry to hear that, Tamara! We had one of our product specialists test all these countdowns to make sure they were compatible with Volusion sites when we posted this. I would recommend double checking how you embedded the code, and if you’re still having problems you could try contacting the creators, WiddlyTinks, at http://www.widdlytinks.com/contactus.php or you could try out a code from one of the other sites we suggested.

Good luck! :)

• Carol

I think the images not showing has to do with them being created in flash. Flash has issues showing in ipad and mobile. Haven’t had chance to test in desktop.

• Melinda

I agree. I tried to embed all of the other ones given and it doesn’t come up as an image but just the HTML text.

5. Chris

Same issue for me too. Tried a few of the suggested counters and they did not work. I was going to put one in the Nav Menu Promotions area. Simply copied and pasted the code but no success.

6. Charli

These are very nice but I wish there were one that counted down all 3 holidays:
    Days Till Christmas:
    Days Till Hanukkah:
    Days Till Kwanzaa:

7. Seda

any countdown widget which will work on FB wall please ?
    those dont work unfortunately ;
    thnx happy holydays

• Gracelyn Tan

Hi, Seda. I actually don’t know of any counters that you can use on Facebook business pages. :( I’m sorry! Though, as an alternative, you could post images that say “x Days until the Holidays!” to remind your customers every so often.